FAQ: Fate of the World
November 4, 2010 1 Comment
“Will You Help the Whole Planet, or be an Agent of Destruction?”
-Fate of the World
Fate of the World is the new global strategy game by Red Redemption giving players the power to dictate what happens to the world, good or bad. With this highly anticipated title having hit store shelves earlier this month, this FAQ is the most useful resource in finding out all the must know information relating to this game.
- What is ‘Fate of the World’?
- Fate of the World is a global strategy game in which the player plays an all-governing role dictating what happens to the world, when it happpens and how. Much in the same vein as Lionheads hit game Black and White, players are given a ‘god-like’ role carving a path between good and evil.
- When is it Released?
- ‘Fate of the World’ was released 29th October 2010 worldwide.
- Who are Red Redemption?
- Red Redemption are a UK based Indie games company who have only published two games so far (Fate of the World included). Though small in size the company has large ambitions, aiming to not only grow in size making fun, accessible games; but to target relevant real world issues-such as in the case of Fate of the World where players are challenged with tackling climate change.
- What Formats is the Game Availiable On?
- Fate of the World is a PC exclusive game with a Mac compatible version in the pipeline.
- Will I need a very good computer to play this game?
- Looking at the specs it doesn’t seem to be that way; I assume the posted technical specs relate to the minimum system requirements, you can view them here.
- What will I actually be doing?
- Fate of the World is set out as a menu based strategy game, focussing on the player considering the effects of desicions made based on data related information. The player’s game is not assessed by any measure of success, but is merely guided to a degree so that players can choose to solve or accentuate disasters in the game world. The game data all relates to real world information and business strategies leading to realistic outcomes and repercusions of player made descisions.
- What do you mean ‘disasters in the game world’?
- As a ‘world management sim’ (a phrase coined by myself) players are trying to either save the world as we know it, or make things as bad as possible. Challenges arise from anything from natural disasters such as forest fires, to economic disasters where you must buy, sell or invest in different opportunities as they become availiable. Players must try to remain as objective as possible in this game, which for some may seem daunting, but fans of immersive data relevant sims such as Football Manager will probably enjoy this system.
- Is there anything else I need to know?
- Yes; the game is for players aged 12+; the UK based developers are releasing the game under the blanket of ‘indie games’ as the game has not been endorsed by any major publishers. The game is receiving middling reviews with articles mainly complimenting the games brave subject matter whilst identifying weakness’ in accessability for a large target market.
Have you got any more questions about ‘Fate of the World’? If you do, leave a comment and I will answer them for you asap!